Sunday, February 16, 2014

Red Fish Grill -Orange, CT

Today, on a whim, Carrie and I decided to cure our boredom with an afternoon stop at Red Fish Grill.  Neither of us were really hungry, but we were both bored and in need to get out of our homes.  We went at an odd time - I think it was around 2:45.  Red Fish Grill is located on the Post Road in the building that was home to Lushe's Diner, the Orange Family Diner, and Red River Grill before that.  It was setup inside pretty much the same way when it was Lushe's.  The counter was right near the door, the bar was in the smaller room to the right and the dining area was in the middle and to the left side of the restaurant.  The decor was different.  More modern, more earthy.  We were seated in the room the farthest to the left.  It looked nice, it was very clean, and nice and cozy.  My number one complaint when I went to Lushe's was how cold it was, so obviously it wasn't the building.

Our waitress was very nice and attentive.  The menu isn't too big.  If you don't like fish- don't go there.  There are 4 dishes that are not fish.  2 chicken and 2 beef.  There may be a burger or something but I really didn't check out the sandwiches.  There were only about 5 sandwich options total.  We decided to order a few things and just try them all.  The waitress was very nice about it.  Some restaurants give you "sharing" charges, or just give you shit about sharing, but this waitress did not.  We ordered the corn and crab chowder, the beet and goat cheese salad, and the fried oyster dinner.  At first, the waitress brought us NE clam chowder.  She then saw the ticket, realized her mistake, and brought us the correct soup.  We were going to try the clam but luckily she brought the crab at the right time.  The NE chowder looked good.  Very thick, very white.  To people have issues with overly creamy things like I do, excuse my French, it looked like a total shit fest.  It looked thick like a bucket of paint.  The crab was okay.  It had a decent flavor.  A little buttery but tasty.  There were very few pieces of crab and only a few kernels.  The corn crab at Jimmie's is a million times better.

The beet and goat cheese salad was refreshing, but not really what I expected.  When I hear "beet salad" I assume that it's going to consist primarily of beets.  This was not the case.  It was a regular tossed salad with 6 beet slices lining the circumference of the plate with globs of goat cheese.  It wasn't gross or untasty, it just wan't a "beet salad."  The goat cheese was quite good.  There was a light dressing on it as well that complimented it nicely.  Carrie also did not care for the soup and thought that salad was okay.  The fried oysters were my favorite part.  The oyster were huge and tasty.  They weren't overly cooked- just perfect. The batter tasted on point and the oyster burst when you took a bite.  It was served with crinkle-cut fries (a plus in Carrie's eyes) and coleslaw.  I didn't try a fry.  I'm not a fan of the crinkle cut but I didn't want to fill myself up considering my mom was planning on serving dinner between 5:30 and 6.  I think I'm going to give up fries for lent.  Okay- sidetrack.

We ate what we could and wrapped what we couldn't finish.  We drank several glasses of ginger ale.  Foxon Park beverages are served there.  In bottle and tap form.  They don't have any good Foxon Parks on tap.  Only cola, lemon-lime, and ginger ale.  Red Fish Grill gets a mezza-mezz rating from me.  I would like to go back and try one of their fish dinners.  The red fish, for instance, is something I've never had.  I've also never had Chilean sea bass or trout.  I think I'll skip the trout.  Whenever I think of trout, I always think of the scene from the Hailey Mills version of "The Parent Trap" when they go camping with the father and his fiance. Carrie seemed to have a "middle of the road" opinion about Red Fish as well, though she would also like to go back for a dinner.  If we embark on that trip I will be sure to let you know about it.  We also want to try The Twisted Vine in Derby, the bottom-less bloody bar in Bridgeport, and Joey C's in Milford. I also need to check out a few restaurants in Fairfield.  Let me know if I should add any other places to the list.  Until my next bite...

No comments:

Post a Comment