Saturday, April 18, 2015

GW Carsons Burger Bar- Branford, CT

Continuing with the vacation and continuing with the fun, we headed to the outlets on Wednesday.  Keeping with the tradition of "girl's night", I went with my mom, Judy, and Lindsey.  We planned to head out early and wanted to get lunch somewhere near the outlets or in between the two.  Lindsey had suggested GW Carsons Burger Bar.  The name of the restaurant is quite a mouthful but well worth it.  All of you who really know me, knows that anything with "GW" involved is a winner in my book.  I also would like to note that the owner of China Pavilion's son, owns Nine East and the burger place.  They are basically in the same building.  GW on the west and Nine East to the east.  And now that I just wrote that like that, it's sort of like a play on east meets west.  GW made me think of Cattleman's Ranch the entire time.  For those of you that don't know what I'm referring to, that's the name of the restaurant on the TV show "Fresh off the Boat."  Great show!

So on our way home from Clinton, we stopped in Branford.  When you walk in the restaurant the bar is sort of off to the right and to the left is the hostess station.  Right before you walk to the station, there's like this glass pit that has sand and the skull of a bull in it.  I mention this because it caught everyone off guard and you don't want to look foolish out in public.  I suppose you can walk across it but we were all afraid so we walked around.  It was later in the afternoon so it wasn't really crowded.  We sat in the first part of the dining room but it looked as if it went back fairly far.  They also have a deck with some tables out there.  The booth was odd.  It was not just a rectangular table with two benches, it was like some carved shape.  It was a little awkward entering the booth but once we were in, it was comfortable.  The menu was quite extensive but we were in a burger place.  How could you go there, order a jerk chicken sandwich, and then complain about it in a blog?  We all ordered burgers.

We started with a lovely little app.  Fried pickles and peppers.  Delicious!!  People go crazy for fried pickles.  I like them too, but the best part was the pepper!  It came with a dipping sauce.  A ranch of some nature.  That disappeared in a matter of moments.  They have all different specialty burgers but we all ended up customizing the classic GW Burger.  I ordered a burger with American cheese, bacon, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, and it came with some ailoli or something.  I loved the burger.  The burger came with fries and each person got their own individual little fryer basket.  Such a wonderful little touch.  Every bit of food I ate at that lunch was delicious!  The bun was another beautiful, buttery brioche type of thing.  I ordered the burger medium- cooked beautifully.  The fries were one of the best fries I've ever had.  They were thin, just the right amount of crisp, and salted.  It wasn't regular salt.  I'm not sure if it was sea salt but it looked almost like a flake rather than a grain.  Maybe it wasn't even salt?  Either way, fabulous!  By the time I was done with my meal, I thought my stomach was going to blow.  It was an excellent lunch!!

To sum up, I highly, highly, highly recommend.  It's a clean place that had fairly good service.  The food was great and I can't wait to go back again.  It's a good place to go with friends, a family, a date night, a game night at the bar, or whatever.  And now that I know the burgers are good, I feel free to explore the other corners of the menu.  When I go back I will definitely try something different and will be sure to let you all know.  It may be a few weeks before I can write another post but until my next bite...,,


Check out the website:
http://www.gwcarsons.com/menu/

No comments:

Post a Comment