Saturday, May 9, 2015

Dad's Birthday at Scribner's

So we all decided to take my dad out for his birthday.  My dad loves to have a birth-week celebration.  After we went to Scribner's a couple of times in the past couple of months, I decided that that would be a great place to take my dad for his birthday.  He was a huge fan of Chuck's Steakhouse but now that that's gone, there really aren't too many nice restaurants.  I've said this before in my earlier posts but unfortunately, it remains true.  Most of the restaurants around here are either a chain, a breakfast/lunch place, or an Italian restaurant.  Don't get me wrong- I'm half Italian- I love Italian food but sometimes you want something a little fancier.  This was the third time I had gone to Scribner's in about 3 months.  I never even knew a restaurant was located where it is and now it's one of my new faves.  I really like this restaurant and recommend it for any upcoming events.  I believe they even do banquets there.

Anywho, we took my dad out to Scribner's.  I made reservations.  I always like to make reservations if the restaurant takes them.  We had a different waitress this time.  I believe her name was Karen.  She was just as nice as Wendy.  To start, my mom, dad, and I had Rhode Island clam chowder and my brother and DJ had the lobster bisque.  The chowder was good- needed some salt but it was chock full of clams.  DJ said that the lobster bisque tasted good but it didn't look very bisque-ee.  It looked a lot more soupy than a bisque.  But as long as something tastes good, that's all that counts.  I don't do bisque.  It's way too rich for my stomach.  I think I only tasted bisque once before and it definitely killed me.  That's also why I prefer Rhode Island over New England chowder.  Even though in Rhode Island they don't typically serve RI chowder.  Karen brought bread and butter over to the table as well.

After the soup, we all had the salad that comes with your entree.  Everyone except my dad had the house dressing which is a gorgonzola-bacon vinaigrette.  My dad had the raspberry poppy seed.  The house vinaigrette is very very good.  I'm not crazy for salad but I do enjoy this dressing.  My dad ate all of his salad, including all of the "field greens" so that leads me to believe that raspberry was very tasty as well.

For our main course, Dad had the baked stuffed shrimp with rice and veggies, my mom had the Salmon Woodbridge also with rice and veggies, DJ had the Sicilian chicken with garlic mashed potatoes, my brother had the special- Himalayan tuna, and I had the scallops and risotto.  Everyone enjoyed their meals.  Every dinner that wasn't served over a starch came with the choice of rice, French fries, or garlic mashed potatoes.  You'll have to check out the website, which also posts daily (I really think they're weekly) specials.  Here, I'll cut and paste the descriptions of our meals.
Scallops Risotto - Fresh Sea Scallops pan seared and finished with chefs choice risotto. 23.95
Baked Stuffed Shrimp -  3 Colossal Shrimp stuffed with our seafood  dressing and baked. Served with drawn butter. 21.95
Salmon Woodbridge -  Fresh fillet of Salmon sautéed with mushrooms and finished in a red wine reduction sauce with shallots, fresh thyme and a squeeze of lemon. 24.95
Chicken Sicilian ~ Boneless breast of chicken sautéed and served with a sauce of sundried  tomatoes, onions, garlic, kalamata olives. and fresh herbs Served over fried eggplant and topped with provolone cheese. 18.95
Himalayan Tuna — Fresh filet of Tuna seared (Rare) with Himalayan pink salt, served over roasted pineapple with a touch of teriyaki glaze. — 23.95
 I just have to say that my scallops were absolutely delicious!  I wanted to order them because of my boy, Gordon Ramsay.  On "Hell's Kitchen" they ALWAYS make risotto and scallops and here is a dish comprised of both of those items.   This dish would have certainly passed Gordon's inspection.  The risotto was delicious.  Creamy not mushy but not too al dente.  The scallops were absolute perfection.  Cooked perfect.  Seared with a nice crust on the outside, yet moist and meaty on the inside.  They were flavorful and complimented the risotto nicely.  It was also served with mixed vegetables - string beans, squash, and carrots.

We also ordered dessert.  I just got coffee but tasted some of the others.  My mom had key lime pie- lovely, DJ had the turtle sundae, my dad had the depot pie, and my brother had a fancy coffee.  We were stuffed to the gills and had a very enjoyable evening.  The bill wasn't even as high as I had expected.  Very nice night had by all.  Everyone was comfortable inside the restaurant, everyone enjoyed their food, and the waitress was there to refill and meet all of our other needs.  I will definitely be there many more times over the course of the summer.

I hope to eat in the other smaller room with the fireplace.  I may have to wait for a summer weekend for it to get crowded enough to open up the other room.  A delicious dinner.  Please swing by.  It is a great restaurant and we want to have it around for another 40+ years!  Until my next bite...

No comments:

Post a Comment