Saturday, December 12, 2015

Gigi's Wood Fired Pizza - Milford, CT

Today we went to get our Christmas tree.  After some debate over where to go, how to travel there, who will drive, what time, we ended up at our old faithful, Jones Tree Farm.  We decided to go there fairly early to beat the midday rush,  This year goes down in the record books as the easiest tree picking experience.  DJ, my brother and I were in charge of choosing and cutting (not me) down the tree.  We knew we both wanted a Blue Spruce and we both didn't feel like climbing up the mountain this year, so we started off by looking at the trees near the parking lot.  Lucky for us, we both ended up finding our trees within minutes.  After the trees were up, decorated, and the homes were cleaned, my brother offered to take us out to dinner.  We went to a pizza restaurant that he wanted us to try.  We went to Gigi's in Milford.  It is located down the Post Road just under the bridge for the Merritt in the former location of The BBQ.

We went very early considering it was a Saturday.  Good thing that we did because the place is not very big and was PACKED!  The restaurant is small and nice.  Very casual.  It's nothing fancy and there is another section of it which is just a bar.  Our waitress was nice and gave us these delicious rolls while we waited for our food.  They were fabulous.  They were just rolls, I guess garlic rolls but not your normal type of garlic bread.  They had like a garlic salt on the outside and they had olive oil and Parmesan cheese on the table.  Very good.  We ordered buffalo wings for an appetizer, which were also cooked in the fire wood oven.  The wings were crispy and spicy.  Nothing out of this world but still very good.  For dinner we ordered three large pizzas: 1 sausage and mushroom because that's all my dad ever gets, one half meatball half eggplant, and one duck.  My brother is actually the one who wanted to try the duck pizza.  It had duck, caramelized onion, fontina cheese, mozzarella, and a balsamic glaze. It certainly is not your typical pizza but it was very good.  The duck tasted almost like jerky and the balsamic reduction added a sweetness to it.  I wasn't crazy for the meatball but I'm not a huge meatball pizza fan.  The sausage and mushroom was good.  It had fresh mushrooms and not the canned ones.  The eggplant was fabulous. That is slowly becoming my new favorite pizza topping.  I'm keeping that one in my back pocket for when lent arrives.

Needless to say, we were stuffed!  No room for dessert, although they did offer to show us a menu.  I also feel like they have specialty coffees.  They also offer quite a few appetizers, dinners, wings, and specialty pizzas.  To sum up, it was a great experience.  The pizza was flavorful and it offered unique topping choices.  The wood fire oven gave a nice crunchiness and smokiness to the pizza.  And the pizza was also a thin crust.  The atmosphere is cozy and casual.  I would definitely go back again but make sure you time it right.  I couldn't believe how packed it was between 4:30 and 5.  I also saw people picking up to-go orders but it's too far for us to do take out.  I hope you check it out and have as good an experience as we did.  Hopefully, I'll have another update for you soon.  Until my next bite..

No comments:

Post a Comment