Monday, December 14, 2015

West End for Breakfast

Sunday I met my friend, Chrissy, for breakfast.  We had a lot of catching up to do and were looking for somewhere to eat.  I had the idea of going to West End Bistro because although I've gone there twice before, I had never tried the breakfast.

The parking is not that great.  There's really no street parking and that lot is shared by several businesses, AND that Valero/Dunkin is a total death trap!  We walked in and were told to sit wherever we wanted.  There were quite a few people there but there were still plenty of open tables.  I really like what they have done with the place.  It's cute, cozy, and cleaner than it's ever been.  We took a look at the large menu and had a little trouble deciding what to order.  I wanted to order pancakes but I have such a hard time ordering them for the first time somewhere.  I consider myself to be a pancake snob.  I only pancakes a certain way and because I don't use syrup, they have to taste good.  I usually eat pancakes from Chips and Cracker Barrel.  I was feeling brave but then I didn't want my whole meal to be a bust if I didn't like them.  I'm also beginning to lose my taste for breakfast meats.  I was never a fan of breakfast sausage, I'm liking bacon less and less, and I need to take a couple years' break from ham.  I also don't like home fries because I'm not a huge fan of potatoes.  So if I ordered pancakes they would have to be good because there was no side dish that I could order as a "back up" meal.  I chickened out and didn't order them.  I thought about getting eggs Benedict but I mentioned my feelings on breakfast meats.  I didn't want to get an omelette or just eggs so after talking with Chrissy, I decided to get two poached eggs with corned beef hash.

I was very pleased with my decision.  The eggs were pretty big!  I saw them and began to fear that they would taste of vinegar like they did at The Plate but they were not.  They were delicious and perfectly cooked.  The eggs tasted great and the yolk just bled out as soon as you put your butter knife through it.  The corned beef hash was homemade and you could tell.  You could see the skins from the potatoes (so you could tell they weren't those gross little white cubes of potato in the can) and there were nice shreds of corned beef all throughout.  It was very flavorful and nicely cooked.  It was also served with homefries, which I felt like was overkill.  I already had the hash, I didn't need more potatoes.  I didn't taste them but they just looked like plain potatoes.  My mom would like that because she hates homefries with a lot of onion.  The best part was the bread!  I just said white toast but this was no Sunbeam slice.  This was a nice crusty piece of bread.  It was toasted properly and was loaded with melted butter.  Absolutely sinful!  I didn't use any jelly, just dipped a little in the egg yolk and mostly ate it plain.  That's when you know something tastes good - when you can just eat it plain.  So I'd say that my breakfast was a success!  I will definitely be back for breakfast.

Our waitress was very kind and attentive.  She frequently refilled our coffee and so did the other waitress working that morning.  The coffee was a little weak but I'd rather have the coffee be a little too weak than a little too strong.  Chrissy had eggs over medium with bacon and wheat toast.  She said she liked hers and that the eggs were cooked perfectly.  Chrissy and I have shared many a breakfast together and now that I'm thinking back as I type, I realize she has a very distinct way of eating her eggs.  She usually taps the top of the egg and leaves the broken yolk on the top of her eggs.  I can't quite recall but I don't think she dips the toast in the egg, she may just fork the egg and take a bite of toast.  Either way, she enjoyed her meal.

I have a mixed feeling about West End Bistro as far as lunch is concerned, but the breakfast is delicious.  I would like to go back there again in the near future.  I also want to try more of their dinner-type meals.  I'm not crazy for their sandwiches.  I think they're a little too over the top.  Almost like they are trying too hard to create something so unique and ridiculous.  Just cook simply and cook well.  That breakfast was simple and it was delicious!  The next time I return there I probably won't write another post.  I'm hoping to hit up some new restaurants over Christmas break.  The next time I grab a bite, I'll take some time to write.  Happy holiday eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment