Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A-1 Diner - West Haven, CT

So tonight my dad took us to try the A-1 Diner for dinner.  It was a nice treat to go out with my family.  A-1 Diner is where Friendly's used to be on Sawmill Road.  It took quite a bit of time to finally open but now that it is, I'm quite happy.  I can't quite understand how Friendly's ever went out of business in the first place.  Either way, I'm happy something is open in that spot.  Between the highway and the train station, Sawmill Road should be booming with restaurants and businesses.  Let's just keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't crap up quickly.

First of all, the inside is beautiful.  You would never guess that it is in a former Friendly's.  The doors were opened tonight by one of the waitstaff.  When you walk in, there's a breakfast bar and a few booths to the left, a dessert case to the front, and a number of booths and tables to the right.  There's also the typical diner-style cash out counter.  We were seated by the window and waited on by a lovely woman who knows my mom from when she worked at Savin Rock and also used to work at Sandy's.  It was quite nice to see her again.  Breakfast is served all day.  There are also you're typical diner items - sandwiches, clubs, wraps, Greek specialties, and entrees.  I wanted to try a roast beef sandwich called "The Balboa."  It was roast beef, sauteed onions, swiss cheese, I think mushrooms on a garlic roll.  I decided not to get it because I also wanted a cup of soup.  Now I have to mention this.  I loved the waitress; however, she made a big mistake in my book.  She said the soups of the night were: Chicken noodle and Lentil.  I said to myself, oh good.  I'll get the lentil and a cheeseburger.  Well, my friends, it was not lentil soup.  I don't know what the hell happened, but all I know was that I was served beef flippin barley.  Beef barley is quite different from lentil soup!  I didn't question it or ask the waitress about it because I didn't want to upset her or cause a scene or get her in trouble.  As a side note, I don't particularly care for beef barley soup.  This soup was good.  It tasted homemade but was not lentil.

My mom had a turkey melt - turkey, cheese, and tomato.  It looked good.  Like a Friendly's classic.  I swear I will not mention Friendly's again.  My brother had the "New Orleans Panini."  A panini with cajun grilled chicken, mozzarella cheese, tomato, bacon, and some type of sauce or mayo.  He liked it.  It looked good and smelled good.  My dad had the open-faced rib eye sandwich with fries and onion rings.  It looked good and he ate it all.  Other than the soup issue, everyone enjoyed their meal.  It was good.  It wasn't out of this world, but it wasn't bad either.  A typical diner.  The owners(?) came over a few times to chat with us and ask how our meal was.  I think that's a nice touch.  You can tell they want to succeed.  I had a cheeseburger.  It was tasty.  They use the orange cheese.  There was a slice on the bottom and a slice on the top.  A great touch.

All in all, I enjoyed it.  I plan on going there again next week for girl's night.  I also would like to go back for breakfast.  I think there's definitely a lack of breakfast places in this world.  I also REFUSE to go to Georgie's.  It's so expensive there and for what?  Crap.  That's what.  I'll let you know if I try the breakfast and how next week goes.  I always like to try a new restaurant two times before I make my final judgement.  When a new place opens, they need to work out all the kinks and problems and then try it again.  I'm afraid, though, that I'm watching Kitchen Nightmares too much.  I think I can tell when the food has the taste of a kitchen you would see on that show.  I think A-1 is good.  For example, Lisiano's and Jimmies ... they are kitchen nightmares.  That's another day though... Until my next bite!

1 comment:

  1. A-1 is no longer in business. They had some crazy issues going on but they weren't that great. I never did head back for breakfast, but I went back a few times for dinner and I wasn't pleased with my food. We had a few problems and now it's gone. I still don't know why Friendly's had to leave. I miss it so!

    ReplyDelete