Sunday, January 27, 2013

Magical Weekend

This weekend has been extremely slow on the food front.  Saturday I had to work for Eco and Sunday (today) I went to my cousin's son's birthday party.  Even though there were few opportunities to indulge myself with a five-star meal, I did see two magic shows.  I am 27 years old and this was the first weekend I have ever watched a magician.  Not just one magician, but two.  Magic Jim gave a presentation at Eco and Tony the Magic Man was at the party today.  Of the two, I vote Tony.  Both of these magic shows must have filled me up because I lost my appetite immediately following.  I said that I would blog about anything I eat so I will give a quick synopsis of my eating weekend.

Friday night I went to Cracker Barrel with DJ.  I know that doesn't sound like a flashy Friday night date night type of meal but I'm not really a flashy Friday night girl.  Ever since I started working "for real" Friday night is a completely different thing.  I remember when Friday was the best night.  I would go out with friends and even if I had to work at night, it was so much fun going to the bar afterwards.  Now, nothing makes me more happy than my sweats, take-out pizza or Chinese, and re-runs of the Golden Girls.  I've always thought that I was an old lady trapped in a young person's body.  I wonder what I'll be like when I actually am that old lady.  I can't help it!  It's a regular work day and resting without worry is unheard of in the middle of the week.

Anyways, we went to Cracker Barrel.  I enjoy Cracker Barrel.  The ambiance, the country store, the country music... I just love it!  I've always felt that part of me was Southern.  Our waitress was nice and attentive.  I had a diet Dr. Pepper which is a huge plus.  It bothers me that you can only get diet coke (or Pepsi) when you go out to eat.  I love a good Sprite Zero or Diet Schwepps.  (I'm not blogging about this today but for a little side note, the Coca-Cola Freestyle machine at Duchess is absolutely amazing!)  For dinner I had the fried shrimp dinner with mac and cheese, green beans, and carrots.  (you get to choose three sides)  It was quite tasty.  There was a large amount of shrimp and hush puppies scattered throughout.  I am addicted to the mac and cheese at CB.  I love when you get the crispy bits.  Oh so good.  The batter was quite flavorful.  Now this leads me to an issue I have.  Why do restaurants (not just CB- all restaurants) leave the shell on the tail of the shrimp?  I know it serves as a little handle but personally, I'd rather have the shell off and just eat the whole shrimp in comfort.  I'm always afraid I'm going to bite too far and get a chunk of shell in my mouth.  No complaints of my meal.  DJ had breakfast- one of the samplers.  It came with tons of food- eggs, ham, bacon, sausage, grits, sawmill gravy, biscuits.  The biscuits ended up being my dessert.  I'm not much of a dessert person.  I'll take salty over sweet anytime.

Saturday I didn't make anything special or go anywhere worth mentioning.  I did go to the movies and although this is not a movie blog, we saw that silver lining book with Bradley Cooper and Katniss from The Hunger Games.  It was fantastic.  The best movie I've seen in a long time.  Today I went to the birthday party.  My mom made some stew.  It was yummy.  I'll only eat my mom's stew.  I made a lasagna.  My mom's birthday is Tuesday so I wanted to make her a little treat.  I used the fresh lasagna sheets from Durante's in West Haven.  I'll let you know how it tastes when we eat it.  That's all for now.  Until my next bite....

1 comment:

  1. I hear where you're coming from with those shrimp tails....it's always a bother of mine too!

    ReplyDelete