Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mom's Birthday

This week I made two delicious dishes.  On Monday, I made a chicken dish.  Not sure what you want to call it; Chicken saltimbocca or chicken rollatini have both been used.  I took chicken cutlets and layered them with Parmesan cheese, prosciutto, provolone cheese, and spinach.  Once they were layered, I rolled them up and put three toothpicks in it to hold the shape.  In a skillet I put a little bit of extra virgin olive and vegetable oil and browned the chicken on all sides.  After the chicken was browned, I added some chicken broth, lemon juice, and a little white wine to the pan.  I let it come to a boil, covered it, and let it simmer while I made the side dishes.  Very tasty.  I just wish I didn't have to handle the chicken.  The more chicken I cook, the less I want to eat it.  Handling poultry is sickening.  On a side note, I would love to hunt turkeys.  With a bow and arrow.  There are two animals that I absolutely hate- llamas and turkeys.  I'll skip the llama and feast on the turkey.  All went well with the meal.  It's fairly healthy and was easy.  On Tuesday, Fashion Police was on so we ordered Bao's.  Yes, again.  I had the boneless ribs and wonton soup.  Fabulous.  I could bathe in the bbq sauce they put on those ribs.  There's no other Chinese restaurant that can duplicate those ribs.  As a side note, I love Joan Rivers.  She is absolutely hilarious!  A comic idol.  Ribs, wings, and Fashion Police is the perfect night.  I wish they had a Fashion Bowl on Sunday for all the non-football fans.

Tonight (Wednesday) I baked the lasagna I put together the other day.  It was a hit!  I was so proud of myself.  It was the first lasagna I ever made.  Of course I've seen my mother and aunt make them plenty of times before but this time, I made my own sauce, made the little meatballs, and put everything together.  I am happy to carry on the tradition.  I made little meatballs, opposed to scattering chopped meat.  I don't like loose meat in my ronies.  I put plenty of sauce and will only use Parmesan, mozzarella, and ricotta cheese.  Whenever I see a chef making lasagna with cottage cheese or cheddar I want to throw up.  I made the lasagna for my mom's birthday.  I wanted to make her something that I knew she liked and lasagna is something she rarely makes.  It was a nice surprise.  We had dinner with my cousins Judy and Lindsey, and my brother.  It was the new girls' night plus 1 guy.  Lindsey made a lovely salad, even though I ruined it with red wine vinegar instead of balsamic.  For dessert I bought pound cake, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and cool whip.  It was a great night.  In my opinion, there's nothing better than food and family.  Tomorrow I think I'll go out for dinner.  Of course I'll let you know how that goes.  Until my next bite....

No comments:

Post a Comment