Thursday, January 31, 2013

Oyster River

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.  The meal I had tonight at Oyster River was out of this world.  I went out with DJ tonight fairly early.  It was a little before 6.  We were able to sit wherever we wanted which was nice.  We sat by the windows with a beautiful view of Long Island Sound.  The sun was setting at this time.  (So happy that it is staying lighter outside later)  We were given the regular menu along with two specials menus.  My reason behind going to OR was to fill my month-long shrimp craving, but the specials available make me want to go back soon.  Because tonight is a Thursday, the offer a prixe fix menu.  It includes a three course meal- 1 appetizer, soup or salad, and an entree.  They offered about 6 entree choices.  Mostly fish, but there were a few non-fish options.  Also, Thursday is $5 martini night!  I was interested in trying the martini with the loopy vodka (fruit loop infused vodka).  I almost ordered the martini but when I spotted the Zing zang Bloody Mary I stopped right there.

I am  a sucker for Bloody Marys.  And not only do I love a good bloody, but this bloody was served with 4 shrimp.  This absolutely blew my mind.  It combined two of my loves; shrimp and bloody Marys.  It was delicious.  The shrimp were divine and the drink was perfectly spiced.  Tonight I ordered: chicken orzo soup (fabulous) and the shrimp Caesar salad wrap.  The wrap was exactly what I had been craving.  It wasn't just a wrap with shrimp and lettuce.  First of all, it was loaded with shrimp.  Whenever I took a bite, my mouth was filled with shrimp and other little pieces of shrimp were falling out of the back side of the wrap.  It was very filling.  I probably could have saved the other half and brought it for lunch tomorrow but I couldn't resist.  I needed to eat that whole darn thing.  The shrimp was seasoned, which is a huge plus.  The shrimp was flavorful on its own but then when it was paired with the Caesar dressing, cheese, and lettuce- fantastic!  The wrap was served with fries, coleslaw, and a pickle.  Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.  The coleslaw was tasty, the fries were perfectly cooked, and the pickle just might as well have been the cherry on top of my happiness sundae.  I had no room for dessert but as previously mentioned, I'm not much of a sweets girl.  A fantastic meal!  The food was delicious, the service was right on, and I can't wait to go back.

DJ ordered a burger.  It was a nice size burger.  I didn't try any of his food but he seemed to like it quite a bit.  The burger was served on a hard roll with lettuce, tomato, onion, with fries and coleslaw on the side.  I cannot get over how terrific this meal was.  I highly recommend going, especially during the week.  They have great specials and large portions.  If you have a shrimp craving, go to Oyster River Tavern in West Haven.  They do shrimp right.  After dinner, I drove up the street to top the night off with a cinnamon coffee from Dunkin'.  Perfect night.  I'm not sure where I'll eat next but as always, I'll keep you posted.  Until the next bite...

No comments:

Post a Comment