Thursday, April 11, 2013

Saray- Turkish Restaurant

6-8 weeks is here again.  For our meeting this time around we decided to spice it up with a different type of cuisine.  Maria had mentioned going to Saray (she's been there many times before) for some Turkish food.  I seconded the Turkish food, but I had recommended the Turkish Kebab House.  I was game to try a new place.

So we went around 5 o'clock.  When we arrived the place was dead.  We had a large table in the middle of the room reserved for us.  It was bigger and nicer than I thought it would be.  Waters were poured and the menu was already on the table.  One of the reasons why we chose Saray was because we had a coupon for 15% off our entire bill.  When we inquired about this coupon, the waitress told us that they would only accept the coupon if we all ordered off of the regular menu, instead of ordering one of the dinner specials.  Well that was ridiculous, so we didn't use the coupon.  (Strike number 1)

We were hoping to partake in an adult beverage but after coming to realize that they don't serve alcohol in Turkish restaurants (due to religious beliefs) we thought that the party would be a little dull.  (Strike number 2)  This actually ended up turning out okay because we were able to go purchase our own beverages.  BYOB, if you will.  The restaurant did not have a corking charge, nor did they raise any issues when we needed glasses.  After we ordered our food, they served us delicious bread.  I must be a huge fan of Turkish bread because I loved it here and at the Kebab House.  They just served the bread.  When I went to the Kebab House, they served it with a delicious seasoned oil.  I loved it.  Unfortunately, Saray did not have any oil.  I used some of Baylis' hummus as a back up.That was pretty tasty, but it was second to the oil.  I ate about 5 pieces.

The dinner special included an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert.  The majority of the table ordered the chicken adana, which was ground chicken and some other spices and stuff on a kebab and grilled.  Baylis ordered chicken adana over a yogurt puree.  I ordered lentil soup and the adana kebab, which was ground lamb, peppers, and spices.  Everyone ordered this eggplant thing with tomato sauce for their app, and Baylis ordered hummus.  Everyone enjoyed their kebab, but no one loved it.  I was disappointed with my lentil soup.  It was pureed.  I was not expecting that.  It was served with a lemon wedge.  I have to admit, after I added the lemon it was a bit more tasty.  It tasted good, but not what I expected.  My kebab was good.  As I ate it I liked it, but as I'm sitting here reminiscing the night, I have no desire to ever eat it again.  The kebab was served with a scoop of bulgar and a scoop of rice.  There was also half of a raw tomato.  Not really to my liking.  The meal was a bust.

For dessert I rodered the sekepeare or something like that.  I kept referring to it as "the Shakespeare."  It was like two little sweet rolls with syrup on top.  Not my cup of tea either.  I think everyone liked their meal but I don't believe anyone is dying to go back.  Strike three.  I think I'm done with Turkish food for the next ten years.  When the decade is up, I'll go to the Kebab House instead of Saray.  It was surprisingly busy in there.  I do not recommend.  Until my next bite....

No comments:

Post a Comment