Sunday, April 7, 2013

Knuckleheads

Friday night DJ and I went out with one of my favorite couples- Chrissy and Anthony.  We wanted to try out this place in Wallingford called Knuckleheads.  Chrissy had heard some good things so I wanted to give it the BB test.  We went around 7 o'clock (they close at 9) and just in time.  When we first walked in, it was packed.  Luckily, another party of 4 was just paying their bill when we walked in.  It's a very tiny restaurant that is attached to "The Tap Room."  It is not in its own stand-alone building.  It looks like it's in a plaza but I can't really remember the surrounding businesses.  Parking is on the street, which may be an issue.

It was nice inside.  When we were waiting for our table to be cleared, the waitress came over with a spray bottle and a paper towel. They already won me over.  I hate when you go to a restaurant and the bus person comes over with a brown, wet rag and brushes the crumbs off your table.  This place is clean and I like clean places.  The different beers on tap were written on a chalk board by the back of the restaurant.  There's also a window where you can see the people cooking- another clean plus.  The service was a bit slow.  There were three waitresses, but when I tell you the restaurant was the size of a Dunkin' Donuts, I'm not kidding.  The menu consists of hot dogs, burgers, apps, some sandwiches, wraps, and I think that may have been it.  They are known for their specialty dogs and burgers.

Here's what we ordered: Fried pickles for an appetizer.  Very, very good.  They were pickle chips lightly breaded served with a ranch dipping sauce.  It was quite delish.  DJ had the Big Kahuna- a burger with a pineapple slice and some other Hawaiian-ey type things and onion rings on the side.  It must have been good because he ate the whole thing.  Anthony had the steakhouse burger with onion rings.  I believe it had Swiss cheese and mushrooms and maybe a sauce.  He, too, ate the whole thing and enjoyed it.  Chrissy had a classic burger.  She said that it was seasoned perfectly and tasted very good.  I, on the other hand, really prefer a dog.  The hot dogs range from $4-$5!  I couldn't get over how cheap that was!  I know hot dogs are cheap, but they have tons of stuff on them.  The hamburgers are $8 and change.  Big difference.  Although, the hot dogs do not come with french fries.  I chose to order two hot dogs and no fries. 

I got the "Brook-lyn" which is a bacon-wrapped hot dog with caramelized red onions, brown mustard, and sauerkraut.  The hot dog was very good.  The only thing that I did not like were the onions.  They were way too sweet for my taste.  I didn't think it paired with savory nice, it was just over powering.  I still ate it, but next time I don't think I'll order that one.  I also ordered the "Junkyard" which is another bacon-wrapped dog with chilli, coleslaw, and jalapeno peppers.  This was my favorite of the two.  The chilli was pretty spicy and so were the jalapeno slices, so if you don't like spicy, I don't recommend it.  The coleslaw did balance it out a bit but as you could imagine, it was quite messy to eat.  The rolls tasted freshly made and were bulky so they could contain all of the toppings.  We all ordered beer from the Tap Room.  Chrissy and Anthony both had the arrogant bastard, DJ had Brooklyn monster, and I had the dirty bastard.  I loved it.  It was a very dark beer but not like Guinness.  It was smooth but a little lighter than you would expect.  It was like a black and tan in one.

As I said, the service was a little slow, so plan to be there for the evening.  Don't go there if you have theater tickets or something.  Overall, it was a great experience.  The food was good, the portions were generous, the restaurant was clean and comfortable, and the bill was reasonable.  I definitely think you should check out this place the next time you're in Wallingford.  They have no website so you have to go by what I told you.  I think it's a  good place.  I have a few days to catch up on.  Until my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment