Thursday, April 18, 2013

Shanghai Gourmet- China Bistro

The other day I went for lunch with my cousins Nicole, her son Jimmy, her husband Jim, and Alicia for lunch at Shanghai Gourmet in Orange.  It is located on the Post Road in the Peck and Post Plaza. (Across from Starbucks)  We went for lunch and were able to order from the special lunch menu.  It was perfect.  The amount of food, the quality of the food, and the price all fit.  The lunch special is served Monday-Saturday from 11 am to 3 pm.  It starts with a choice of soup (wonton, egg drop, veggie hot and sour) or egg roll.  You choose your meal and type of rice- white, brown, or veggie fried rice.  I love the way the menu is set up.  It lists a type of sauce and then you get to choose the type of protein you would like.  There is also a section of choices from South East Asia.  These meal choices range from $6.25 to $7.45.  How can you go wrong with that!?

This is what we chose- Jim had the wonton soup, General Tso's chicken, and white rice.  Nicole had mixed vegetables in brown sauce with chicken, veggie hot and sour soup, and brown rice.  Alicia had the egg drop soup, sesame chicken, and brown rice.  I had wonton soup, string bean garlic sauce with chicken, and veggie fried rice.  Fab, fab, fab, and fab.  I wanted to like the plate the sauce was so good.  Everyone was happy with their choice of soup and meal.  Nicole said her soup was good but very spicy, so if you don't like spice, don't order it.  I tried a piece of Alicia's sesame chicken.  It was a nice piece of white meat chicken.  Delish.  I also want to comment on the wonton soup.  I love wonton soup.  Just love it.  This wonton soup was different but very very good.  The wontons were not as noodley.  It was more white in color and very light.  The meat inside the wonton was delicious. There was your normal broth and scallions but it also had like little bits of frizzled onions.  I was depressed when I got to the bottom of the bowl.  Absolutely fabulous.  The other soups were good as well.  The veggie fried rice was a wonderful treat.  I wanted to just pour the garlic sauce in a big vat of rice and go to town.  It came with fresh string beans and strips of chicken.  Everything was good.

I also forgot to mention that we ate inside the restaurant. I always think that's a plus when you can eat in a Chinese restaurant.  I feel like the ones that are exclusively for takeout can be a bit sketchy.  The only thing I was a little disappointed with was that they did not serve tea.  I feel like that makes the Chinese dining experience.  A little oolong tea with your meal.  Other than that, everything was great.  It was a small little place but they had quite a few tables.  Ones that seat 2, 4, and 6.  Their regular menu ranges from $7.95 - $14.95.  I can't wait to go back again.  They have a website you can check out- shanghaigourmetkg.com Until my next bite....   (It's Branford restaurant week so I hope to get there soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment