Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lenny and Joe's Fish Tale- New Haven

Tonight I went to Lenny and Joe's in New Haven for dinner.  I wanted to go there on Saturday but it was MOBBED.  (They have valet parking on the weekend ps)  So then I made some plans with DJ and some family.  It was fairly busy considering it was a Tuesday night.  First of all, it looks nothing like it did when it was Leon's or the Rusty Scupper.  When you first walk in you are hit with bright turquoise paint and shiny wood.  They have a large waiting area and a bunch of t-shirts and other little trinkets for sale.  The bar looked very cool.  Very typical style for a beach-themed restaurant.  It was so open and there were plenty of tables inside.  They had tables on the deck outside.  It was a beautiful night to sit on the deck but we didn't.  No biggie.

Our waitress was very nice and helpful.  She seemed proud of the restaurant and the food they make.  We were given the menu and a list of specials.  The menu consists mainly of fish but they do have some non-fish choices.  (burgers, beef, chicken, hot dogs)  We all ordered some form of seafood tonight.  After we placed our order the waitress brought us a loaf of bread and butter.  What a huge plus.  I think every restaurant should give you something to munch on while you're waiting for your food.  I didn't expect it from a place like this because it is so casual, but this was a nice touch.  The bread was almost a wheat.  It tasted homemade.  Very good.  DJ ordered the fried shrimp dinner which came with fries and coleslaw.  He also had fried zucchini.  I didn't really recall him ordering that but the next thing I knew fried zucchini was sitting next to me.  It didn't come with any dipping sauce which is a problem in my book.  My cousin had a lobster roll and fries.  The lobster roll was hot with melted butter.  The french fries were fat crinkle cuts.  (Those are my least favorite fries but commonly served with seafood for some reason)  Her boyfriend had the clam strip dinner with fries and coleslaw as well.  Everyone ate and enjoyed their meal.

Now here's what I ordered- I saw something on the menu that completely baffled me.  It was listed as an appetizer so I ordered a bowl of clam chowder and...... the fried lobster.  That's right.  Fried lobster.  The lobster was delicious and more filling than I had originally thought.  There were five decent sized pieces of lobster.  (2 looked like claws and the others must have been tail meat) The pieces of lobster were thick, meaty, and tasty.  They were lightly breaded and fried just enough.  It was served with a lemon wedge and cocktail sauce.  DE- licious.  The bowl of chowder was mezza-mezz.  It was full of potatoes and clams but I wasn't crazy for the broth.  Even the potatoes were cut in this microscopic chunks.  It was basically a clear broth but it had a drop or two of milk in it.  It wasn't creamy but it wasn't a beautiful clear broth either.  It was reminiscent of the LI sound water.  I thought it was also lacking some flavor.  Nothing that salt can't fix but I probably will never order it again.  I'm a soup snob and this did not meet my expectations.

Overall, it was a great time.  The restaurant was decorated brightly and with ocean/fisherman knick knacks.  The deck is beautiful, the bar looks great.  Looks like a great spot for happy hour.  Service was good, food was really good, and it was clean.  Next time your stuck on 95 by Long Wharf, consider jumping off the exit for a bite at Lenny and Joe's.  Until my next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment