Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ludal's - North Haven

A few nights ago, I went out to dinner with DJ, my Obi-Wan of teaching- Don, and his wife, Marla.  Don had suggested going to Ludal's in North Haven and of course I jumped at the opportunity.  Going to dinner is so nice.  Ludal's was a perfect spot for doing just that.  We had reservations for 6.  When we first arrived the restaurant wasn't busy at all but by time we left, the place was hopping.  If you plan on checking this restaurant out, I suggest going at 6 to be sure to get a table.  When I walked in the host station was in the center, the bar area was to the left, and the tables were to the right.  It was fairly dark inside.  Low lighting, dark walls, dark tables.  It was fine at the time when we went because it was still light outside but I wonder what it would be like if you were there at 9?  I have terrible night vision so that's why I mention it.

We were seated at a table right in front of the window.  It was a nice spot.  My only complaint is one of the air conditioning vents was on the floor right near my seat.  I couldn't quite sit where I wanted to because I would have either been tilted up on one side or had a little Marilyn Monroe action going on.  Our waiter was pretty good.  He was nice and attentive.  He was a bit odd as well though.  Before we ordered he kept coming back and asking us if we were ready and then he kept saying, "I'll give you more time to decide."  Then we all decided and he comes back and hits us with the specials.  Then he gave us some more time.  I think as soon as the drinks are brought to the table, the specials need to be told if they are not written on a special specials menu.  DJ and I started off with a Stella.  I would've liked it more if it was brought in the almost champagne looking glass. That makes the drink that much more enjoyable.  He finally came back and took our orders.  DJ and Don both ordered the Shrimp Florentine, Marla ordered gnocchi with sausage (but she substituted chicken for the sausage), and I ordered shrimp Gabriela.

The shrimp Florentine looked very good.  The shrimp was made the typical way for Florentine and the it looked like the shrimp was mixed in with angel hair.  I've never seen shrimp Florentine served over pasta but I thought that was great.  It should always be served over pasta.  Both of the guys said that it was very good and ate all of their food.  Marla also liked the gnocchi and was pleased that the restaurant was willing to substitute chicken for sausage.  The sauce was red with a touch of cream so more of a pink.  She did comment that the chicken was grilled and not a chicken cutlet.  I personally would have preferred the chicken cutlet myself.  Even though the chicken was grilled, the dish was still good.  Marla was happy with her choice, Don tasted to make sure, and I was told the leftovers were devoured by their awaiting hungry son.  My shrimp Gabriela was interesting.  It was the first time that I ever really had an issue with the plating.  On the left of my plate were mushrooms in the madeira sauce, lightly battered shrimp covered with the sauce and mozzarella.  On the right of my plate were spinach fettucine.  I feel as though the shrimp and mushrooms should have been over the pasta.  It was very good but the shrimp did have a taste to it.  I've eaten shrimp with this taste before.  It's not terrible, it doesn't taste fishy or bad or anything, but it tastes like tap water.  I didn't eat all of it because I was full.  It was tasty.  Maybe DJ thought so too because somehow I lost my doggie bag after I got out of DJ's car. 

I forgot to mention the bread in the beginning.  Bread should be served at every restaurant.  It was also served with like a garlic pesto type dipping sauce.  It was delicious.  Not good for a first date, but delicious.  I would go there again.  A good restaurant in the North Haven neck of the woods.  I had a great time catching up with Don and Marla.  Until my next bite...

1 comment: