Monday, July 8, 2013

The NEW Pop's

Anyone who knows me knows I go to Pop's in Milford every weekend with my parents.  They've always been located on New Haven Ave in Milford across from Dunkin Donuts.  They started out as Pop's Donuts in one building.  Then they started serving breakfast and expanded.  Eventually, they took over three store fronts in that plaza.  Pop's is always booming with business.  Over the past few months they have been building their own free-standing restaurant.  Today was opening day.  I went there twice.  Yes, think what you want, but I am quite happy over here.

This morning I had to take my mom to the doctor so she treated me to breakfast as a thank you.  When we first pulled in, no parking spaces were to be found.  I was able to use some good old-fashioned parking lot stalking (thank you SCSU) and grabbed a spot.  There's a large waiting area when you first walk in and then the hostess stand is after the next door.  The restaurant is gorgeous.  Very modern, brand new, clean, wonderful.  It's open and quite inviting.  The check-out area is to the left and there is still a breakfast bar right next to the check out area.  There are booths in the first room and tables in the second room.  The booths are roomy and very comfortable.  We were seated in the first booth.  All of the family from the original Pop's were glowing.  We chatted with the daughters and the mother.  They are such nice people.  I'm happy that their business is continuing in their new location.  We were given the breakfast menu, now that they are open until 9 pm.  They have mostly the same things, a few of their specials are now regulars on the menu, and now there is a diet section on the menu.  I ordered a Belgian waffle with fresh strawberries and blueberries on top.  Delicious.  My mom ordered the low-cholesterol french toast.  It's made with wheat bread and egg whites and is served with a fresh fruit cup.  She loved her breakfast as well.  The coffee is great and now they even have fancier, cafe style coffees.  Breakfast was tasty, it filled us up, and was affordable.  It didn't look like prices changed.  Needless to say, I was stuffed the rest of the day.

It wasn't until dinner time that I started to have a rumble in my tummy.  My dad was upset that my mom and I went to "his" place without him.  I felt the only was to correct this was to go with my dad and brother to Pop's for dinner.  It was still pretty busy, but not nearly as busy as it was in the morning.  Some of the girls from breakfast were still there and so was Pop.  This time we sat in the second room.  There's a beautiful fire place and TV in that room.  The menu was fairly large.  All of the sandwiches that are offered during lunch, pannini, wraps, salads, and dinners.  They had meat dinners, diner classics, chicken, seafood, pasta, soups, and specials.  A perfect menu.  I was tempted to order the chicken salad melt- a lunch classic from Pop's but I wanted something really hot.  I ordered the chicken philly sub.  Delicious.  Cheese melting everywhere.  It was seasoned grilled chicken with mushrooms, cheese, and onion.  I could only eat half but it was a good half.  It came with fries, coleslaw, and a pickle.  Delish.  My dad had a hot, open-face turkey sandwich.  It was toast, turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce with mashed potatoes on the side.  It came with a soup.  He ordered the beef minestrone.  It looked fantastic.  You could see the fresh chunks of beef.  Looked great.  My brother had their Greek pannini.  Chicken, spinach, tomato, and tzatziki sauce.  He said his was delicious as well.

Overall, Pop's is fantastic.  I'm so happy they are now open for dinner.  Sometimes you just want a place to get a sandwich for dinner.  I hate places that are only open for lunch.  The majority of the world is working!  Not everyone can order from their place of work and are unable to go to these wonderful places.  Restaurants that are only open for dinner always feel the need to be fancy and have full course meals.  I can't wait to go back for dinner.  I know I'll be heading there with DJ, it will be a nice place to go when I go out for Girl's Night.  Just love it.  Full for now but until my next bite....

No comments:

Post a Comment