Sunday, February 3, 2013

Weekend Breakfasts

This weekend wasn't very exciting as far as dinners go, so I thought I would give an overview of the breakfast places I've been to lately.  Every weekend I go with my parents to breakfast.  My dad is a routine, very predictable kind of guy.  He likes to go to the same places every week.  Every now and then I meet a friend for breakfast, or go with my cousins. I decided to give a little review of the breakfast places I've been to.

Pop's in Milford.  I like to go to Pop's, although I'm not crazy for their breakfast food.  Before I continue I must let you know that I'm very particular about my breakfast.  I drove my poor Auntie Carm crazy when I used to eat breakfast at her house before school.  I really don't like syrup on my pancakes.  I just like loads of butter.  But not all pancakes taste good with just butter, so if they don't then I don't like those pancakes.  Gianotti's that used to be in Baybrook had the best pancakes.  What I wouldn't give for a short stack of their buttermilk pancakes.  If I don't like the pancakes then i will use syrup to try to salvage them but that's not always possible.  When I go to a new restaurant I always test out their pancakes by ordering blueberry.  For some reason I will put syrup on blueberry pancakes.  That's why I order them.  If they're really good I'll just eat them with butter and next time I may try another flavor.  I'm also not crazy for bacon.  I don't know why now it's the cool thing to love bacon.  People make me sick with their bacon comments, bacon t-shirts, chocolate covered bacon, bacon hear attacks.  Whoops, I snuck that last one in.  Let's get original people.  If I am going to have bacon then I would prefer to have my own or my friend Chrissy's.  She could always whip up a nice BLT.  I'm side-tracking now.

Pop's. I love the sense of family in that restaurant.  It's a caring and comfortable place to go.  Bad pancakes, though.  Eggs are okay, but they over cook a poached egg all the time.  I feel like Gordon Ramsey every time I go there.  I'll take my butter knife and lightly cross over the egg.  If the yolk doesn't come spilling out, it's a dud.  The waffles there are delicious.  They always offer fresh fruit to put on top of the waffles.  Very good.  My favorite are the strawberry and blueberry.  No whipped cream!  Whipped cream does not belong on your breakfast plate.  Omelets are okay, egg sandwiches are good, the baked goods (muffins, bagels, Portuguese rolls, Danishes) are delicious, fruit salad is good, I hear the oatmeal is fabulous, good corned beef hash, but the best thing I've ever had at Pop's for breakfast is the sausage gravy and biscuits.  De-li-cious!  I've tried to get sawmill gravy in a few other places but none of them even come close to Pop's.  I think it's because it's not thick like the traditional southern sawmill gravy, but boy is it flavorful!  I could just eat a cup of the gravy with some oyster crackers.  Can't rave about it enough.  I love the lunch at Pop's.  Great wraps, wonderful Greek salad, delicious chicken salad.  There was a short period of time when Pop's was open for dinner.  There's a rumor that they will be open for dinner when their new restaurant opens.  I sure hope so.

Sunrise Grill in West Haven.  Sunrise is a small cozy place.  If all the tables are filled up, there's no where to wait.  That's the only downside.  Eggs here a delicious.  My favorite place to get an omelet.  Their pancakes are hit or miss.  It's safe to say, I always order blueberry from Sunrise just in case.  Waffles are pretty good but they only have the fruit compote or frozen fruit.  Again, I go blue.  I also don't like French toast.  They have stuffed French toast at Sunrise that many people have raved about.  Their coffee is very good.  The menu is not very large but it serves its purpose.

I was going to give a little blurb about each breakfast place but this blog is getting too long.  I feel like people will stop reading after a while, if they haven't already.  Stay tuned for reviews on Georgie's, Chip's, Sandy's, Breakfast on the Corner, and Cracker Barrel.  Until my next bite..

No comments:

Post a Comment