Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter at Biagetti's

Easter Sunday is a lovely day.  It started off with 8:00 mass at OLOV.  The visiting priest said the mass (a -) but they opened with my favorite Easter song (a +).  We went to Sandy's after church.  It was surprisingly dead in there.  I tried the biscuits and gravy.  I have to say, it was quite delicious.  I like the gravy better from Pop's, but this gravy was pretty good.  It came with two eggs and potatoes but it was too much for me.  Next time I'll just get the biscuits. 

Later on that afternoon, we went to Biagetti's.  First, let me give you a little background info.  My Auntie Verna used to have everyone over house for Easter dinner.  She used to make leg of lamb and get a Honey Baked Ham.  As the years went by, less and less people came to Easter.  My cousins went with their in-laws, people had babies, and it got to the point where it was just my mom, dad, Auntie Carm, brother, Elena, Verna, and me.  So Verna took us to Gabriele's instead of making a big dinner.  That only lasted one Easter I think.  At some point we decided to give Biagetti's a try.  It's a very nice experience.  Then all of a sudden, everyone trickled back to our Easter gathering.  That's okay though.  I love a big family gathering. 

This Easter it was particularly mobbed.  We were seated at a big L-shaped table in the front room.  Biagetti's always puts out a special Easter menu with a few appetizers and about 12 entree choices.  1 waiter of the trio of waitstaff working our table really pissed me off.  Maybe I rubbed him the wrong way, maybe I reminded him of his ex-girlfriend, who knows?  He didn't bring me my food, he never refilled my bloody, and when he did ask me if I wanted a refill, he asked me if I wanted a coke.  What the hell was the issue?  Did he think I was young?  Never mind that I'm there with my cousin who is 4 years younger than me and she is getting drinks with no question.  Never mind that it's Easter Sunday.  What am I trying to do- get away with ordering a bloody Mary?  He was terrible.  Tall, ape-looking.  Terrible.

Back to the food.... I ordered fried calamari for an app., and rack of lamb for dinner.  The calamari was tasty.  No little octopus-looking things, just the rings.  Biagetti's is great because they always serve a full-course meal.  They had bread and pizzagaina (which is nowhere near as good as mine ;), we ordered the apps, but then they serve soup and salad.  Not soup OR salad- soup AND salad.  So nice.  The soup was perfect.  It was Italian wedding soup.  My favorite soup from Biagetti's is, I'm not sure how you spell it, pasta te?  Then the salad came out.  I love their balsamic dressing.  Then came the lamb.  It was perfectly cooked.  4 or 5 big racks of lamb came on a bed of mashed potatoes with a mint gravy.  It was wonderful.  They also serve vegetables and mashed potatoes family style.  Everyone was satisfied with their meal.  DJ had pork tenderloin, my dad had surf and turf, Lindsey had chicken ricardo, Cat had stuffed shrimp, Nancy had Italian Tilapia.  There were some other dishes that I don't recall but everyone was happy.  I was stuffed when we left. 

After Biagetti's, we go back to Verna's for dessert.  She gets pies from Lucibello's- wheat, ricotta, and cream.  She made a rice pie and also bought assorted Italian pastries.  I don't really like any of that stuff.  I'm not big into dessert.  I did try the wheat pie.  I was curious about this.  I still really don't know much about it, except it was good.  It tasted almost like a softish graham cracker.  It was good.  Well that's all for now.  I have to go make my lunch for tomorrow.  My most hated task.  Until my next bite...

No comments:

Post a Comment