Monday, May 6, 2013

Denny's- Westbrook

On Sunday I did some heavy duty outlet shopping with my cousins.  We went to Westbrook first.  While shopping, we worked up quite an appetite.  We aren't too familiar with the area so we just decided to go to Denny's right near the outlet entrance.  The place was packed.  I was so surprised because it was 2:30 on a Sunday afternoon.  That would be a great spot to open up another restaurant.... maybe a healthier alternative.

We walked in and immediately the nose curled up.  It was your typical thought of Denny's.  Apparently, wherever you happen to be in this world, Denny's is Denny's.  It was too late to look for somewhere else to go, and we were starving.  They have this special bacon menu.  Everything you could imagine with bacon- brownies, sandwiches, ice cream, eggs, salads, pancakes, everything!  I think there were even shakes.  I didn't really look at that much because I'm not really a fan of breakfast meats.

The regular menu was decent.  They have a wide variety of choices.  I was also impressed by the fact that they had some healthy selections on the menu.  (Remember, planning a wedding over here.  Trying to watch what I eat)  We all started out getting the Cali something or other turkey burger, but then I ended up being the only one to actually order it.  The turkey burger had a salsa type thing (I want to say pico de gallo?) avocado, jalapenos, and some type of sauce.  It was good.  You are also given a choice of side- fries or fresh veggies and yes folks, I chose the veggies.  It was great!  A little cup of carrot sticks, celery sticks, and cucumbers were given with a tiny shot of ranch dressing.  I loved it.  I was full, but yet I wasn't bloated.  Very good.  Catherine ordered the grilled chicken avocado sandwich.  She enjoyed it. It was basically the same as my burger, except it was with a piece of grilled  chicken.  Lindsey and Judy both had a burger.  They both enjoyed.

The food was fine but the wait was terrible.  The waitress almost broke down in tears after we asked her how much longer on the food.  Eventually the food came.  For a trip at Denny's, it was fine.  I like that they have a handful of healthy options and I love the fresh veggie option.  If you are hungry, near the outlets, and don't know where to go, it's good enough.  If you're in a hurry or it's near Christmas time, don't go there.  You'll be there for the rest of the year. 

I've cut down on my bites because I'm trying to eat healthier but if anyone knows of a healthy place to eat out, let me know and I'll give it a try.  I believe there's a new restaurant, Piada Italian Kitchen, in Milford that I want to check out.  Until  my next bite...

No comments:

Post a Comment