Sunday, May 5, 2013

Gusto's - Milford

Saturday night DJ and I went to dinner with our friends, Dan and Dana.  We wanted to splurge a little, go somewhere different, and have a good meal.  That brought us to Gusto's on the Post Road way out in Milford.  I assumed that it was going to be crowded so I had DJ make reservations.  I think it was completely unnecessary.  There were a few larger parties, but there were still plenty of tables available. They just recently added a new screened in patio which looked very nice.  It has glass walls, which may be able to be removed when the warmer weather arrives.  The restaurant is very nice.  Nice linens, clean atmosphere, bright.

The waitress we had was very odd.  She rubbed me the wrong way and she ended up being not-too-good. One of the collectors at my church is a waiter there.  I wish I had him.  Anyway, we decided to start with an app.  We had fried calamari.  It was very breaded.  Not like that light batter that's normally on fried calamari, more of bread crumb.  It was good.  It came with tartar sauce (yuck) and a very spicy, thick tomato sauce.  It was good but be ready for the spice.  A little too thick for me.  I like Gusto's but I have to be honest.  It was like tomato paste with red pepper flakes all throughout it.  For dinner I had the Orecchiette Provenciale: shrimp, asparagus, fresh tomatoes and capers in a white butter wine sauce. Orecchiette (pasta that looks like an ear or sometimes referred to as little hats) It was very good and very filling.  It came with 4 or 5 very large shrimp and a nice balance of asparagus and capers.  I would have liked it more if it was served over spaghetti or a stringy-type pasta, but it was still good.  Dana had Paglia e Fieno: prosciutto, lobster meat, peas in a lobster bisque sauce.  This was served over, what looked like, a tri colored angel hair.  That would have been way too rich for me, but Dana said that it was delicious.  It did look good.  Dan had Vitello Ortolano: scaloppini of veal with eggplant, prosciutto, mushroom in a red sauce topped with mozzarella.  He loved everything minus the mushrooms.  And now for DJ...

He ordered the filet mignon, but the waitress brought him veal chops.  She came over and said "Okay, veal chops."  She was met with confused, blank stares.  She began to get a little panicky.  DJ knew Dan had ordered veal so he thought that was what Dan ordered, but no.  He told her that he did not order veal chops.  She seemed surprised by this..  She said, "You didn't order the veal chops?"  DJ said, "No, I ordered the filet."  She said, "What?  Filet of what?" He said, "Filet Mignon."  She did apologize and the steak came out soon after, but how do you get veal chop out of filet Mignon?  And then when he said "filet" she said "filet of what?"  Sole.  I mean give me a break here.  And veal is not something that you can just tough it out with.  It's not like chicken.  It's a politically incorrect meat.

After the little hiccup was corrected, we continued to have a nice meal.  At dessert time, I was a little full.  I just ordered a coffee.  DJ and Dan both had the cannoli cake.  It looked delicious.  A layer of chocolate and then a layer of the cannoli filling.  It looked fabulous, but way way too rich for me.  This leads me to another thought- my old Haley lunch crew had a debate about cannoli.  I feel like a cannoli is supposed to have mini chocolate chips in it.  Some agreed (I think Joe) and others disagreed.  What do you think??  Please comment!

Overall, a good meal was had by all.  It wasn't the best meal I ever had but it was very good.  I think the waitress put a damper on my night.  I will definitely go back there again until I have a Lisiano moment.  (God forbid)  I'm thinking of it as a possible shower site.  Any thoughts??  Until my next bite.... (Which will be soon... tune in for a review of Denny's in Westbrook.)

No comments:

Post a Comment