Thursday, February 7, 2013

6-8 Weeks China Pavilion

I have this group of friends that meets for dinner every 6-8 weeks.  We affectionately call it the "6-8 Week Club."  Normally we meet at The Beachhead in East Haven but due to the recent hurricane, The Beachhead is on the DL.  We decided to branch out from our normal cuisine to Chinese.  I think it was a wonderful choice.  I love Chinese food.  I'm fascinated by Chinese customs and history.  China Pavilion is my favorite restaurant.  I thought they nailed it tonight.  Though I've been to China Pavil many times, this was the first time I had been there with a large group.  They seated us in the middle room that connects the two dining rooms.  When I arrived the table was lined with crispy noodles, hot mustard, duck sauce, and oolong tea.  Definitely a plus.

I started the night off with the wonton soup.  Fabulous.  I love soup as an appetizer, I love soup as a meal, I just love soup.  Some of my dinner companions tried the egg drop and the hot and sour soup.  For dinner I ordered the triple delight- a little spicy.  It was very tasty.  The triple delight is made up of chicken, shrimp, and pork stir-fried with mixed vegetables.  The dish had a perfect amount of spice and a chilli pepper to top it off.  I also ordered the alcoholic beverage "Pineapple Paradise."  The waiter carded me!  Are you serious!?  I know I look young, but come on.  First of all, I've ordered alcoholic beverages from there before and all 6 of the waiters that work there have seen me before.  Second of all, I was there with a group of adults.  What did he think I was trying to do?  This may not sound appropriate, but I have a hard time gauging the age of people of other ethnicities.  I wonder if it works the same from the other side.  Either way, it irked me.

After the dinner is cleared away, fortune cookies and pineapple chunks are served.  I didn't order dessert, although some of my friends did.  They all seemed to enjoy it.  I think the pineapple chunks are perfect.  I'm not a big dessert person and the pineapple hits the spot.  It gives you that little bit of sweet and cleanses your palette.  I would say it was a great night all around.  We were able to sit and talk without being rushed or ignored.  The only downside to this evening was the language barrier.  The waiters only know key phrases in English.  Some questions were not appropriately answered and some of their questions weren't understood.  That's not a huge issue but an issue for people who don't frequently order Chinese food.  I love Chinese food.  I'll venture off and pretty much try anything, but for those who are intimidated by a Chinese menu, go with a friend to help with the recommendations. 

I am still stuffed as I sit here and write this blog.  China Pavilion does not follow that myth of feeling hungry a half hour after you eat it.  I can't even imagine putting another thing in my stomach.  I keep thinking of that scene in Bridesmaids when Helen gives Annie the almond!  Such a great movie.  I'm going to have to plan a dinner and movie blog.  I've done that in the past.  I watched Twilight in my room on  a red blanket with the book as a coaster.  I ate mushroom ravioli (like Bella does in the book), had red wine, salad with red wine vinegar, and devil dogs (the werewolves) for dessert.  That was the only light in my year-long depression.  As for the next gathering, in 6-8 weeks, we were discussing trying something new.  The Turkish Kebab House, Tengda, and Coromandel were the few mentioned.  We'll see where we end up.  To sum it up, China Pavilion is great.  It is unlike any other Chinese restaurant you may have been to.  I will be there again quite soon.  As always, until my next bite...

No comments:

Post a Comment