Saturday, February 9, 2013

Blizzard Bites

Well folks I don't know about you, but I'm going crazy over here.  I never would have imagined that it would snow this much.  Usually I think people get carried away when they go to the store to stock up on supplies, but this time I'm happy I did.  I hope that I'll be able to get my car out tomorrow.  I'm mad at myself for quitting the shoveling this afternoon.  I'm not sure if any places are open anyway.  So in this blog, I'll let you know what food I've been eating to get me through this blizzard!

Yesterday morning I made myself some scrambled eggs with an English muffin.  It wasn't my best batch of scrambled eggs.  I'm very particular with my eggs.  Perfect scrambled eggs looks like popcorn to me.  I don't like them to have any brown on them at all.  I like them on the loose side.  Yesterday, I was deciding on whether or not to add cheese to my eggs and ended up overcooking them.  It would have been perfect if I was trying to make an omelet but alas, I was not.  Every time I cook eggs I think of the Frugal Gourmet.  He was great.  He could blow any of these foodnetwork chefs out of the water.  I remember an episode from years ago when he was making an omelet.  He showed how to do it perfectly and since then, I've always made my omelets the Frug's way.  I still ate my browned scrambled eggs with a little salt, black pepper, and hot pepper.  Not bad.  For lunch I had leftover Chinese food from the night before.  

The highlight of my day was dinner.  My mom made chicken soup with spinach.  Fabulous!  My mom makes the best chicken soup ever.  It's my favorite thing that she makes.  I don't understand why more people don't make homemade soup.  I know the assembling of the soup is a pain, but it's worth it.  It is a tasty and comforting meal that will last you a few days.  Chicken, carrots, celery, onions, a can of whole peeled tomatoes, some spices and let it roll!  My mom usually puts eggbows in the soup but that's just a matter of preference.  She even made chicken salad out of the white meat.  It's the best chicken salad because the chicken takes on all the flavors from the soup.  Those are my two favorite things actually.  My mom's chicken soup and chicken salad.  This time she decided to add spinach which I think was a great move.  It may become a regular.  I made a box mix of brownies.  And that was the end of Friday.

This morning I was shocked.  The snow was ridiculous.  I would have liked to go out to breakfast but that was impossible today.  My mom broke out the skillet again this morning and made me some "fluffy eggs." It's basically a fluffy omelet with cheese on top.  Delish.  I had an English muffin with my fluffy eggs again this morning.  I put some crushed red pepper flakes on my eggs.  A great thing.  I can't take credit for that though.  The movie "Fatso" starring Dom DeLuise is what inspired me.  If you haven't seen that movie, I strongly recommend it.  It's a movie that came out in 1980 that's about a man who finds his life consumed by food.  He tries throughout the movie to curb his cravings and be healthy, but always find himself in some comical mess.  He's always eaten throughout his life but when his favorite cousin dies due to weight-related issues, he's thrown into a depression.  He wants to eat due to his sadness but tries to stop because he is reminded of his cousin's cause of death.  I know it sounds like a downer but it's hysterical, especially if you are Italian.  There are so many scenes that remind me of my family.  It's a great movie.  There's a scene where Dom tells his younger brother that he "doesn't know how to run his plate."  He sprinkles hot pepper on his brother's eggs.  I tried it and now I'm hooked.  If you like hot food and eggs- try it.  Fabulous.

Lunch and dinner were pretty crappy.  I had a Smart Ones TV dinner for lunch.  Sante Fe rice and beans.  Not bad.  For anyone doing Weight Watchers, I think it's a good one.  It is 8 points, which is high, but it does fill you up.  For dinner we had leftover chicken soup and we cut up some frozen hot dogs and potatoes and cooked them on top of the stove together in a bit of oil.  It was good in a pinch.  We do have some things in the freezer we could make for dinner tomorrow.  We'll probably have macaroni.  I hope that by tomorrow we'll be able to get out and drive.  I could go for a takeout right about now.  Sorry this was a boring blog.  The weather is really messing up my plans.  I hope to have something a bit more interesting to share with you tomorrow.  Until my next bite..

No comments:

Post a Comment