Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Savin Rock Roasting / Shake Shack

I went on a small food adventure today with Carrie.  Not one of our best adventures but at least we tried something new.  We started off at Savin Rock Roasting Company in West Haven.  I ate there once when it first opened.  I wasn't pleased then but it was when they first opened, so I thought I would give it another try.  People rave about SRRC and go there all the time.  I don't know why.  I've changed my shirt twice and still have the stink of food, smoke, and fish all over me.

We walked in the door and there was a fog of smoke in the restaurant.  It wasn't cigarette smoke just smoke from the cooking I guess.  We were seated and offered a beverage.  I followed Carrie's lead and ordered a Bloody Mary.  It was good.  Not Oyster River or Duffy's good but good.  We decided to order a soup and some apps.  I ordered the Rhode Island clam chowder and Carrie ordered the crab bisque.  I tasted her bisque.  Too rich and creamy for me but then again, that is a bisque.  The chowder was delicious.  Filled with clams and few potatoes.  Perfect.  For apps we chose fried calamari and crab cakes.  The marinara had a nice amount of red pepper flakes on top.  A good mixture of rings and the tentacle ones.  Crab cakes were filled with different types of seafood.  All of the food was good but I don't have any desire to head back there anytime soon.  The parking is terrible.  Small lot in the back- where everyone decided to park like an absolute fool and street parking.

Then we made a quick stop at Ikea.  I kind of wished we just ate there.  $3.99 Swedish Meatballs.  Not bad.  After our shopping we went to Shake Shack.  We contemplated going there for lunch but ended up at SRRC.  Shake Shack is on Chapel Street in New Haven.  I have to say, I'm not a fan.  It just wasn't my cup of tea.  I felt like I didn't fit in there.  It was an odd mix of people- college kids, hobos, old loners.  It was weird.  If I were still in college and lived in New Haven, it would be an ideal place to hang out with my friends.  But because I do not fit any of those descriptions, I never want to be there again.  Here's why:

I walked up to the counter and saw that there were two lines leading to the same cashier.  This was the first strike.  1 line was like the "fast pass" lane for people ordering shakes and beverages only and the other was for people ordering food in addition to the shakes.  I understand the purpose of the fast pass lane if there were more than 1 cashier, but today there was no need for it.  So because there were only two people in front of us and there was only 1 cashier, Carrie and I stepped into line.  Just as Carrie was about to order some guy came up the fast pass lane and went in front of her.  Terrible!  It really didn't matter much because I ended up getting my shake before Carrie and this guy, but it's the principle!  Finally I made it up to the counter.  I ordered a peanut butter shake.  The girl said, "Your name?"  Now I didn't expect them to need my name so I said what?  She, very rudely, said, "Y-o-u-r n-a-m-e?" Stretching out the sounds.  So I said Betsy.  She said what?  So then I, very rudely, said "Bet - see."  Bitch.  Strike 2.  She then proceeded to give me one of those buzzer things that you get when you're waiting to be seated at a crowded restaurant.  Completely ridiculous!  Strike 3 as far as I'm concerned.

I ended up getting my shake before Carrie and the other guy, even though I ordered after them.  My shake was okay.  It was very peanut buttery.  It wasn't worth the hassle.  I thought it was going to be a fun place with a great menu but no.  It was very anti-climatic.  They have burgers, hot dogs, regular shakes (nothing really special) and floats.  I may try it again for the burgers but most likely not.  The concluded our food adventure for today.  More Betsy/Carrie trips to come!  Until my next venture...

No comments:

Post a Comment