Monday, February 18, 2013

A Little Shmorgishborg

I have a few quick bite that I'm going to put together in today's post.  As I have mentioned, I have been searching for tasty meatless meals on Fridays due to the Lenten season.  I ordered from China Pavilion because I was dining solo.  Knowing that I inform people about different dishes, I decided to try something new.  I ordered the hot and sour soup.  Let's spend a minute here.  My mother had raved about the soup and so had my friend and co-worker, Maria.  I don't know what I was anticipating the soup to taste like but it didn't quite meet my standards.  It was hot and it was sour, yet I didn't know what to expect that to taste like.  It is a brownish kind of thick broth.  In the soup is tofu, vegetables, and I think bits of egg.  It was okay, but not something that I would order if wonton soup were an option.  For my meal I ordered the Baby and Jumbo Shrimp in Two Flavors.  Oh my word.  Completely blew my mind!  The two flavors are: prawn in chili sauce and shrimp with black bean sauce.  Of the two, I prefer the black bean sauce but both were stunning.  Both of the sauces are spicy, so if you're looking for spicy shrimp, I recommend it.  The black bean sauce was not heavy at all.  It was more of a stir-fry with black beans in it with various Chinese vegetables.  It was spicy and salty at the same time.  Next time I order from CP I think I'll just get the shrimp with black bean sauce.  The prawn in chili sauce was spicy but sweet at the same time.  It was very good but not something I typically order.  If you like general tso's, sweet and sour, or anything with a heavier sauce, you might prefer the chili sauce.  I believe that shrimp was lightly battered.

Today I went to Pop's in Milford for lunch.  Now I know I was on a rant against Milfordians in my last post, but it's a love/hate relationship.  It's true as a Westie, I've always hated Milfordians.  As I've grown older I always wondered why I had this hate.  I almost entirely forgot about my hate until I met that waitress at Seabreeze.  The people at Pop's are wonderful.  The waitresses are friendly, kind, and attentive and Victor, the bus man/host is also wonderful.  Pop's delivers to Milford and has delivered to Haley school in West Haven.  Right now they are only open until 3 but I believe when their new free-standing building opens, they will be open for dinner.  For lunch I ordered the chicken salad melt.  It came with coleslaw, french fries, a pickle, and coffee.  I love their chicken salad.  It's made with fresh chicken, mayo, and grapes.  I love the grapes!  It was served grilled on rye with cheese and bacon.  Fabulous.  They had a few lunch specials as well.  I've ordered lunch from there a few times before.  Very good wraps, and salads!  The Greek salad with grilled chicken is magnificent!  I always gave my stuffed grape leaves to Carrie, but still a delicious salad.

For dinner tonight I made a pork tenderloin and brussels sprouts.  First time ever eating brussel sprouts.  Not bad.  I like cabbage.  I like donuts.  I like munchkins.  So I figured brussel sprouts are just like munchkins.  I just put olive oil, salt, and pepper and roasted them in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  Very good.  Like a veggie French fry.  The pork was a combination of Ellie Kreger's recipe and Ina Garten's.  I put a lot of spices on the outside, evoo, dijon mustard, garlic, and I let it marinate for a few hours.  Seared in a saute pan, then finished baking in the oven with the brussels.  A nice meal.  And now I think it's just about time for a Dunkin run.  No donuts or munchkins.  I'm trying to cut down.  Even with the sugar.  Coffee- cream only.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment