Monday, March 4, 2013

Asian Salmon

My blurb is going to be about the "Asian salmon" I prepared for dinner but first, I'd like to mention a delectable little treat I had for lunch this afternoon.  Okay, I'm completing kidding here.  For some reason, I had been dying to try the mozzarella sticks at school.  I thought to myself, I've had frozen mozzarella sticks and sauce before, it must be the same.  Terribly wrong.  (I did eat these mozzarella sticks today but this "review" is entirely a joke.)  The sauce was fine.  The mozzarella sticks were awful.  They were soggy and spongy.  It was like biting into a sponge cake that had been soaked in water.  I wanted to try these sticks for quite some time now and I was quite disappointed.  I just don't understand why school lunches can't have the same quality of a TV dinner.  TV dinners are crappy but you can stand to eat one now and again.  But enough about lunch, let's move on to dinner.

In an effort to eat healthier, I had decided to make salmon this week.  I happen to love salmon.  I love it grilled, in the form of sushi, baked, and in the form of lox.  Other people who I often eat with, do not.  Thankfully, everyone also wants to eat healthy lately, so I was able to persuade them into letting me make this dish.  I had never cooked salmon before so I turned to my standby- foodtv.com.  I chose Ina Garten's recipe for Asian salmon.  It was very simple and very tasty.  This dish doesn't include a variety of Asian herbs and spices but it does give out a lovely Asian flavor.  It's fabulicious.

All you need to do is mix 2 tbsp. of Dijon mustard, 3 tbsp. soy sauce (I use low sodium), 1 minced garlic clove, and drizzle in EVOO while you're stirring with a whisk.  Put the salmon pieces in a pan and drizzle half of the marinade over the pieces.  Let it sit for about 10 minutes while the oven preheats to 450 degrees.  The recipe tells you to grill the salmon and then finish in the oven, but I just cooked the whole thing in the oven.  I kept it in the oven for about 25 minutes.  The recipe also tells you to serve it rare but that's not for me.  If I'm having sushi- it's raw.  If it's cooked- it should be completely cooked.  No mixing.  The marinade was delicious!  I could have sipped that marinade all night.  Put a little hot pepper in it and we could have a hangover cure.  Ooo OR if we're sticking with the Asian theme, a little wasabi!  The fish was great.  It's a good recipe to start with.  It's not too complicated and the flavors are not complex.  It has a taste that would satisfy any palette.  Try it!  I don't like when people say they don't like something they've never had.  If after you taste it you don't like it, then fine, but at least try it! 

Tomorrow will probably be a Tuesday night Chinese take-out.  If I order anything that deserves a review (positive or negative) I will let you know.  Until my next noteworthy bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment