Sunday, March 17, 2013

Momo

After my recent experiences at Lisiano's and Rainbow Gardens, I've been leery about venturing out for food.  Saturday I went to lunch with Catherine before she returns to Boston.  She said that she had recently gone to Momo, a Japanese restaurant in Milford near McDonald's.  I wanted to give it a try so we decided to go for lunch.  Normally we go to Tengda for sushi but we needed a change of scenery.  We walked in and it was nearly empty.  The was a young couple practically making out in a both while decked out in SCSU's finest sweats, and an older woman sitting at the sushi bar alone.  She was doing something on her IPad while she ate.  My opinion was torn at that moment.  We were seated and then I got a chance to look around the place.  It was nice inside.  Very small, dark floors and walls, but it looked clean.  There is a sushi bar at the back of the restaurant and a regular bar on the side.

As usual, I started with some soup.  I tried the shrimp tom yum soup.  Now this is one of my favorite soups.  I usually order that from Tengda- where it's delicious.  I decided to be open-minded.  Cat ordered the miso.  It came and what is the first thing I see?  TAIL SHELLS ON THE GODDAMN SHRIMP!  How in the world are you supposed to eat shrimp in a soup with shells on it?  I used the spoon to break the tails off.  The soup was okay.  Tengda won in the soup department.  It tasted like the miso soup broth with three shrimp and some hot pepper floating around.  I ate it.  Not bad but not the best.  Cat enjoyed her soup.  For lunch we both ordered sushi.  I got spicy yellowtail (not crunchy) and the Alaska roll (salmon, cucumber, and avocado).  Cat ordered spicy yellowtail and spicy salmon?  I think she did.  It was fabulous!  I could not get the sushi pieces into my mouth fast enough.  So good and so close.  I loved it.  I can't wait to go back another night or even for takeout.  Fabulicious.

Overall rating: Excellent sushi.  Bad soup.  In comparison to its Post Road sushi neighbor, Tengda, it has better sushi, nicer people, but worse soup.  I would go to Momo before I would go to Tengda.  Although after all this talk of shrimp tom yum soup, I may go to Tengda.  It all depends on what you like.  They have cooked dishes, udon noodles, and hibatchi but not hibatchi where they cook in front of you.  I definitely recommend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment