Sunday, March 17, 2013

Rainbow Gardens

I have a lot to blog about.  I'll post them in separate blogs but just be ready for quite a few posts to pop up soon.  I would like to apologize for my misspelling of shepherd in the last post.  For some reason it's not recognized on blogger.  Moving on... On Friday I went to Rainbow Gardens.  I've heard good things about this restaurant and I thought that it looked very cute from the outside.

DJ made a reservation and we went at 6:30.  When we first walked in it was basically dead but filled up incredibly fast.  I recommend a reservation if you'd like to try it there.  It appears that they have a nice setup when the weather is warm.  (Linds, we need to go there in the early summer.  Sit outside for lunch with a nice bloody to wash it down!)  The inside was confusing.  I thought it was elegant, but then the tables weren't.  We sat in a room near the takeout portion of the restaurant.  Who knew they did that much takeout business?  It reminded me of a floral shop rather than a takeout spot.  There were big glass cases and different trays wrapped in cellophane.  We were seated and asked about drinks.  I wasn't sure of my mood yet so I started with water.  The menu has a bit of variety.  Salads, sandwiches, and entrees.  I thought about getting a salad but then I decided against it.  (Mistake) I ordered something with a fancy name- Legend of the Sea or something like that.  It was described as shrimp, scallops, spinach, and Roma tomatoes in a lobster infused tarragon sauce over angel hair.  What came to the table was shrimp, scallops, shrimp, and huge chunks of tomato in a flavorless milk sauce.  It wasn't creamy it was just wet.  The shrimp of course had their damn tails on which made it difficult to eat because it was served in a bowl so I couldn't just cut the tails off.  If any of you readers decide to open a restaurant or catering business, please take those tail shells off.  I ate all of the seafood out and left the angel hair latte in the bowl.  DJ ordered steak.  Can't go wrong with steak but because I'm the good Catholic girl, I just had to watch him poorly eat the steak.  Whenever I eat with him I always am reminded of the line from "Fatso" when Dom is telling his brother Jr. that he doesn't know how to run his plate.  It was a beautiful cut of meat.  The man at the table next to us even commented about how good it looked.  It came with mashed potatoes, fresh veggies, and a few onion rings on top of the steak.  He said that it was very good.

We did not get dessert or coffee. Overall rating: If I go back here again it will be for the ambiance, not the food.  The inside was odd.  Some people were dressed up while other had clearly just come from the gym.  The waitress was good.  The food came out fast.  No bread while we were waiting.  My meal was lousy.  I don't know.  It wasn't for me.  As I have said, I would go there again to sit outside and get a bloody Mary and a salad.  If those aren't good, I'll never go back.  I'll be sharing my other weekend bites very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment