Saturday, March 30, 2013

Jimmie's / On the Border

Friday was a busy day.  Not only did I have to make the crust for my pizzagaina, but I also had to teach my Uncle Paul how to make the dough.  He was a good student but it was like making two pies instead of one.  It came out lovely.  It looked absolutely perfect.  The recipe I follow is entitled "A and C's Tried and True Ham Pie."  I joked with my uncle and said we should change it to "P and B's Tried, True, and Better Ham Pie."  It doesn't seem like a lot of work when you look at the recipe but it is actually quite a bit.  I feel like I have Popeye arms after rolling out the two crusts.  We never cut our pie on Good Friday because it's a meat pie.  It's like the devil himself baking away in that oven.  So I decided I wanted have a nice meal for my last Lenten Friday.  DJ and I went to Jimmie's.

Whenever I think of Jimmie's for dinner, I always associate it with waiting.  Of course we went in and were told it would be a 40-45 minute wait.  It actually went much faster than that.  There were quite a few large parties waiting while we were.  The view in Jimmie's is absolutely beautiful.  It inspires me to keep working hard, becoming a principal and hopefully, owning  a home with a similar view some day.

There were no specials, just menu highlights.  I found that to be disappointing.  I like to order a special.  Our waiter came over and started us off with something to drink.  I had pinot grigio and DJ had a Stella.  The waiter was fine but not particularly friendly.  The restaurant was crowded but the tables were separated enough that it gave an intimate feel.  For dinner, I ordered the grilled swordfish with a baked potato and salad.  DJ ordered the fried shrimp platter.  The salad at Jimmie's is delicious.  I love the base-10 block of cheese that comes with it.  So delicious.  My favorite salad.  I chose the French dressing.  My swordfish was pretty good.  I mean it was exactly what it said, grilled swordfish.  It was simply seasoned.  I was a little perturbed when the waiter asked me how I wanted my fish cooked.  I eat sushi and I know that some people eat their fish on the rare side, but I don't want to have to say I want my grilled fish fully cooked.  So I told him I wanted it medium well.  Ironically enough, I think it was a little dry.  I probably should've went for medium.  I tried one of DJ's shrimp.  They were good.  I think that also was a little bland but most places serve very plain fried shrimp. 

The bill came and it was less than my bill at Lisiano's.  I was shocked!  The meal was much better, included more, and we both enjoyed an adult beverage.  I will never go to Lisiano's again.  I was so full that I couldn't even think about coffee or dessert.  I was a nice way to end the Lenten season.

Now on to Saturday.... Today was a beautiful day.  DJ and I had such high hopes for exploring but everything turned out to be a bust.  After all was said and done, we decided to go to On the Border for dinner.  I'm not really a fan of Mexican food.  It always kills my stomach.  I like chain Mexican restaurants because they tend to be more Tex-Mex than just Mex.  I ordered a Borderita to drink.   Luscious.  It's my favorite margarita.  I get it on the rocks with salt.  Absolutely perfect.  To eat, I had a combination of chicken and pulled pork (carnitas) fajitas.  Oh my word was it delicious.  The fajitas came with three tortillas.  (I think there could've been 4)  I had one fajita with just chicken and veggies, one with pork and veggies, and the final with pork and chicken with veggies.  That pork is absolutely divine. I don't know what is done to it, but it's delicious.  I love Mexican pork, Cuban pork, Dominican pork.  I just love it.  I couldn't finish all of the meat because my stomach was so full I felt my pants stretching.  DJ had a chicken fajita (nothing to report) and for dessert we ordered those sopapillas or something like that.  They were very tasty as well.  They were like square, light donuts with cinnamon and sugar.  It comes with two dipping items- honey and chocolate.  I prefer the sopapilla plain.

Overall, a very nice meal.  It's been about 4 hours since I ate and I am still stuffed.   That's all for tonight.  Tune in for a special Easter addition of Betsy's Bites.  Until then....  keep on eating!  (PS- If there's a place you would like me to try, feel free to comment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment