Thursday, March 14, 2013

Duffy's - Dine In

I've been in a St. Patrick's Day mood lately.  I don't know why.  I've always hated St. Patrick's Day.  When I was in school, I would wear red on St. Patty's Day out of protest.  Ever since I became a teacher I've been more involved with holidays.  I think it's because kids still like life unlike adults.  I think it also has to do with the fact that I love holiday socks and they sell quite a few socks with shamrocks and pots o' gold.  Continuing with the St. Patty's mood, DJ and I went to Duffy's for dinner.

While they had tempting specials, I wanted to order something considered Irish.  My choices were: Smithwicks fish and chips, leg o' lamb, and shepard's pie.  I also want to take this moment to highly recommend the Irish Wolf Hounds.  It sounds odd but is wonderful.  Two boiled hot dogs are split and then piled up with mashed potatoes, bacon, and cheese.  There's no bun it's just served on a plate, usually with a side of vegetables.  I love hot dogs and I just love this dish, but let's get back to my dinner the other night.  I wanted an actual dinner, not a "sandwich."  I was originally pulled toward the leg o' lamb because I love lamb, but Duffy's dinners have a tendency to be bland.  I decided the most flavorful of the three would be the shepard's pie so that's what I ordered.  Very good.  This was my first time ever having shepard's pie.  Chopped meat (meatloaf) is on the bottom covered with carrots, corn, celery, gravy, and mashed potatoes.  The meat was very tasty.  I would have liked peas or a vegetable other than celery but what are you gonna do?  I am happy with my choice.  It came with the choice of a soup or salad.  Of course I chose soup.  Rhode Island clam chowder.  Excellent.  Before I can proceed to tell you what DJ ordered, I need to inform you of something quite devastating.

Peschell's Bakery has closed.  And although I can only think of one time I actually went there to purchase something, I am upset for one reason.  Duffy's bread.  Duffy's always served Irish soda bread and I'm not sure how you spell it- Crecia bread?  I adored the soda bread.  Absolutely divine.  Unfortunately, Pechell's bakery made this delicious bread and apparently took the recipe down with the ship.  You think they would have sold the recipe to the Duffy's people or something.  I'm all out of order tonight.  Let's take it from the top.  We went to Duffy's and it was very crowded.  I guess everyone is in a St. Patty's mood like me.  I am strongly against restaurants having a back door entrance.  I had my first mishap at Lisiano's and now on this night we were being seated by the owner, when a couple came in the back door and just sat at one of the tables on the side of the bar area (the dining room was full).  I suppose anywhere close to the bar is up for grabs, but he was just on his way to sit us there.  So there was another table but it was very close to the bar.  I didn't want some drunken old man dropping bombs in my face while he was at the bar, so we were going to go to a table at the very back of the room.  While he was clearing off the table, another couple paid and left.  It worked out great.  We sat in a booth.  Very clean.  I love that Duffy's is so clean.  We placed our order and our waitress asked if we wanted bread.  I took her up on that offer because I was so curious to find out about the soda bread.  The waitress brought us some sliced brown bread.  Confusion flooded my mind.  Was it wheat bread?  Was it sweet?  Banana?  Was it diet bread?  I have no idea.  The slice I had was fine but I was in no hurry for a second piece.  I have no idea why they chose that bread, or where it came from.  There must be some other bakery that could make them their wonderful bread.  Emerald Bakery- it's an Irish bakery.  Sounds good to me.  Nevertheless, my bread is gone forever.  Things like that always make me sad.  I'll never have the pancakes from Gianotti's, the Irish soda bread from Duffy's, or my Auntie Carm's beef soup.  Three heartbreaks.

DJ ordered the fish and chips.  I was surprised by that choice but he liked it.  I had to have  a piece of it for my blog.  Very tasty.  The batter was light and crispy.  We wanted to order the Bailey's Irish cheesecake but they were all out.  We were going to get some brownie thing but they were all out.  We ended up ordering the raspberry cheesecake.  Not bad.  The coffee was very good.  All in all, we had a nice meal.  Here's hoping that Duffy's gets new bread.  Until my next bite..

No comments:

Post a Comment